Monday, June 18, 2007

Where, Exactly, Will We Finally Call "Home"?

My mom and dad informed me the other day that they had purchased their caskets and burial plot. Great planning on their part, I thought. They are 75 years old. At first it alarmed me to think about this, but my mother convinced me it's now complete so that my siblings and I don't have to worry about it later on.

Ok, that made complete sense to me at the time. Then, I started thinking. Hmm. Where will my "final resting place" be located? Will I choose to be buried? Will I choose to be cremated? Will I choose to be placed next to them? Will there still be plots left, or will my parents be buried next to strangers? Will I go somewhere else and find a location just for me? Should I plan now, at forty-something? Or, should I wait until much later?

Currently being void of a person significant enough to be buried near, I guess it deserves some consideration.

Where will my brother and his family go? Where will my Colorado sister end up? Will she choose to scatter her ashes amidst the Boulder countryside? My granny, to whom I was very close, is buried at yet a different cemetery -- next to one of her few husbands. I have no idea where the other husbands are buried.

It's very odd to think of growing up in the same household for many years together with these family members and the various places we called "home". The truth is, at some remote point in the future, we will be separated permanently by choosing the different places we finally call "home". After that, who knows...

Abby

2 comments:

SR said...

Good food for thought. Your comments make me think we should be making our arrangements too, but should we be buried or cremated? Too many decisions. I'll think about it later.

Anonymous said...

You don't want to leave the tombstone and its inscription to the wiles of others.....