Tuesday, July 3, 2007

General Manager of the Universe

Sheri says:

Bad habits are tough to break.

I need to admit to myself that I am not General Manager of the Universe. I'm not General Manager of my family. I may not even be the General Manager of my own life anymore! I prod about everything; I question the minutia; I push people's buttons and then I stress.

The blame could fall anywhere: I'm a Type-A personality. If I don't do it, no one will. Or, they won't do it the way I would -- therefore, it's wrong.

I follow my husband, my son and my in-laws (who live with us) around saying, "Did you remember to do such and so?" These are grown people.

I know a few people who have very laid back personalities. I am in awe of them. They assume situations will work out fine and most of the time, they do. I am not a pessimist but I do assume things will get done properly and better if I've directed it. A tad egotistic perhaps?

Abby says:

For the 20+ years I've known Sheri, she's definitely been a control freak. However, so am I. Guess it takes one to know one! My belief is that at the end of the day, you can only count on yourself to get the important things done. If they don't get accomplished the way you want them, it's your own fault for not following up or acting yourself.

I recently had a client (who is also a great friend) tell me that when we first started working together several years ago, she thought I was a neurotic, retentive control freak. I was always following up with her, sending her reminders, due dates, etc. She then realized I just knew what it took to get the job done. Marketing and advertising are very deadline driven. If you miss a deadline, it can make or break your campaign. The the client becomes upset!

I carry post-it notes in my car -- just so I can write things down that need to get done and/or followed up on. People that ride with me think I'm nuts. It works.

Over the weekend, I asked a guy friend of mine to do something for me over the holiday. Laughingly, he said, "Sure, I guess I'd better write it on one of your post-its or I may forget." He was totally ribbing me.

Sheri says:

There are also post-it notes in my car and every room in my home. I keep a little bag with a mini stapler, tape, a white out pen and a Sharpie with me. I rarely leave home without my calendar and a notebook. Forget food and shelter -- these are my necessities.

1 comment:

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).