Monday, July 2, 2007

Motorcycle Accident

I was having a relaxing Saturday. A morning at the gym and lunch with a couple of friends. Then, on the way home I witnessed a terrifying motorcycle accident less than 2 miles from my house. Getting ready to turn onto a very busy street I saw a motorcycle coming the opposite direction at an incredibly high rate of speed (actually I heard it before I could see it). He flew through my intersection. I thought to myself, “Wow, he’s going to either have a wreck or cause a wreck. Good thing he’s wearing a helmet.” As I made the turn, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that he had literally become airborne. Ah, that bridge. It has a sizeable bump – actually a manmade seam. It must have sent him flying when he hit it.

As I came up behind it all I saw that there were cars strewn about the road – as though they had swerved to avoid him. We all stopped. My heart was thumping in my throat. My adrenalin was racing faster than the motorcycle. I’m first aid trained and was ready to administer it if needed. His bike was flat down just a few feet in front of another car. Amazingly, the motorcyclist was sitting on the sidewalk of the bridge – dazed and bloody, but upright. Luckily no one had hit him, although it looked darn close. I attempted to dial 911 but was on hold for quite some time. I saw flashing lights behind me, hung up and got out of my car to see if I could help. It was an off-duty policeman. Most everyone else drove off but I felt the need to stay around.

I was scared, and I was also angry at this stupid young person who, by feeling the need for speed, was putting innocent people around him at risk. If it had been 10 seconds earlier I would have been behind this idiot and potentially could have hit him – or worse. I wanted to go give him a big lecture about safety and not being invincible. He was also wearing shorts. Not pretty when you lay your bike down, let alone become airborne. If you’re going to ride, wear protective gear. There’s plenty of it available on the Internet. Oddly enough, I have a client who designs and sells protective motorcycle jackets made specifically for women. If you’re a female rider, I’d suggest visiting her website at http://www.cameleonapparel.com/.

There was an ambulance on the way, and the policeman was there so I decided to leave. I pulled away and drove into a nearby neighborhood, stopped my car and almost passed out. I had large bullets of sweat dripping down my face and I felt nauseous. That was scary.

I hope this guy is ok. I wonder if he realizes how lucky he is. On the other hand, he should have gotten a ticket at the very least. It’s just not right to risk other people’s lives. I suspect he has learned a lesson.
-- Abby

2 comments:

sriley@iupui.edu said...

Abby, I applaud you for stopping to see if this guy needed any help. Once you saw that he was okay, I'm surprised you did not throttle him for his reckless actions.

Kimmy said...

This is great info to know.