Monday, July 30, 2007

Reconnecting With An Old Friend

Abby says:

In a recent post, we list some of our favorite things to do before summer’s over. One of mine was to reconnect with an old friend. That was the only thing left to do on my list and I finally did it.

I called my friend Becky. We were best friends in high school and roommates in college. We were inseparable. We did everything together. We double dated. We were total trouble. She graduated with her nursing degree, got married and before I knew it, moved away. Other than the sporadic high school reunions, we have all but lost touch.

How does that happen? Especially with me, “Ms. Technology and Email?” How is it that you spend all your spare waking moments in high school and college with someone, then, before you know it you haven’t seen or talked to them in 5 or more years? It’s not that they become unimportant. I guess it’s just easy to get swept up in our day-to-day lives. I guess that’s my excuse.

What’s even worse is that a close family member of hers passed away last year. I feel terrible. I did not know. I even make it a point to read the obituaries because I typically know one person a week who is listed. I am sad.

I am making an effort to keep in touch permanently.

Sheri says:

This was not on my list. I’m pretty good at keeping in touch.

My oldest two girlfriends are people that I’ve known forever. One I met in kindergarten and one in middle school. We’re still extremely close and we work at it. The relationship is important.

I had a group of friends in college that were my core for several years. I’d lost touch with most of them, except for the occasional Christmas card. Then someone in our group died. I didn’t know and I missed the funeral. Within the last year or so, I’ve reconnected with a few of them. It’s fun and nothing compares with that trip down memory lane.

Abby and I lost touch once. Thankfully, we reconnected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Abby and Sheri reconnected.