Thursday, August 2, 2007

To the Grave

Sheri says:

Business situations often require a signed confidentiality agreement. I'm trustworthy and I sign it. The legal stuff gets on my nerves but I go along.

Girlfriends never put a piece of paper in front of you. They just say, "I need to tell you something. Please don't share it." Sometimes we say it, sometimes we don't. It's implied. It's "to the grave."

This is a gigantic leap of faith. I have told girlfriends all of my faults, my marital issues, my financial stuff and much, much more. Our kids occasionally make me crazy ... I tell my girlfriends. Ex-wives and ex-husbands and in-laws ... I vent to my girlfriends. If I'm contemplating any change in my life, I run it by the girlfriends.

There's no piece of paper. Every once in a while we venture into scary territory. I am not afraid. I trust these people with my heart and soul. I trust them to the grave.

Abby says:

Unlike Sheri, I have become very guarded as I've aged. I used to tell my friends absolutely everything -- until it once came back to haunt me in a big way (not with Sheri or current friends). So, I am completely gun shy. I am intensely private. As close as Sheri and I are to this day, I have even turned the faucet off with her. It has hurt her feelings. I have apologized to her. But, this is my reality.

Hopefully, even though I don't divulge a lot of deep and dark secrets, my small circle of friends knows how important they are and that with me, once you're in, you're in for good.

Sheri says:

Yes, it occasionally hurts my feelings. On the other hand, it makes for a great escape when I'm guessing about your life.

Seriously, that's part of our friendship. It's your choice and I respect it.

However one chooses to deal with personal details and secrets is an intimate choice. Just knowing that you have friends in your corner is often a welcome relief from the stress, even if you don't share the details.

We have a lot of people in our corners.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky Sheri is to have so many trusted friends. I tend to be more guarded--like Abby. It's a risky business when too much information is shared with the wrong person(s).

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. Thanks for the attention, bye). Até mais.

Anonymous said...

I am guarded too!