Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Working From Home

Sheri says:
Everyone seems to wish to work from home. I do it. Let me tell you, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Yes, you can design your own dress code. Yes, you can enjoy the flexibility of putting a load of laundry in the washer.

Other than that, it’s like taffy. You are constantly pulled in new directions. You can be working on a project and the exterminator calls. You can be washing dishes and a client calls. You never seem to have both feet in the same world.

I could rent office space but I’m stubborn. All of the phone messages and chores would still be waiting for me.

Abby says:
I worked from home for 2 years when I started my business. The first six months were great. I was in heaven. Then, clients came traipsing through my house, sometimes as late as midnight to deliver jobs to me. It was tough – you have to be “available” when they are. So, I never felt I totally got away from work.

I then moved to my current office space. It’s nice. I get up and "dress up" for work. I am now able to separate work and home. And, when I want to work from home, I do and I can. Wearing my bathrobe until noon when I’m on a conference call feels really nice once in awhile.

Sheri says:
Just like we said on our post about technology, I don’t think it matters where you are. People will find you.

No comments: