Thursday, August 16, 2007

When Is Quitting Ok?

Sheri says:
Regardless of the activity, at some point you may want to quit. It may be a sports team or it may be a job. I quit ballet once and then begged my parents to take me back. My son quit football after a few years and has never looked back.

Sometimes, it might be a relationship.

My parents frowned on this. "You made a commitment and you will abide by it!" This is drilled into my brain. I don't give up easily. But, when I have mulled it over and made my decision, it is not negotiable. I am done.

It's a delicate dance. Knowing when to stick it out and knowing when to throw in the towel is a challenge.

Quitting can be an easy out. Or, it can free you to do other things.

Abby says:
I am with Sheri – which is one reason we get along well as friends and colleagues. The word “quit” has never been a part of my vocabulary. To me it does not exist. When people say “Hang in there; don’t be a quitter” I cringe – especially when it involves a young person. I get a visual image of a little league dad screaming loudly at his young son who doesn’t really even want to play in little league.

To me, if something does not work out, and you’ve given it your all, move on. And, it’s OK to move on. I have a very black and white outlook on life, so this is an easy one for me. Either it’s working or it’s not.

For example, while I’m not promoting divorce, sometimes people grow apart or it just ends up not working. Society in general punishes us for these things. When filling out applications I am often asked if I'm “single” or “divorced”. Why do they need to know? I don’t have any dependents. It’s none of anyone’s biz. Maybe they should ask if I was a “quitter” instead (at my marriage).

I cannot think of anything I quit in my life – probably because I don’t look at making life changes as “quitting”.

No comments: