Monday, September 10, 2007

Money Pits

Sheri says:

I have a primal attachment to my home. I love it. It’s not grand but it’s old and comfortable, just like me.

My husband and I bought this house for two reasons:
We were sick of the commute from our old house to our respective offices downtown,
We fell in love with the neighborhood. Secluded, wooded, close to everything.

We did not fall in love with the house but we could see the potential. So, we started the journey of making it our own. If I were a braver person, I would add up all the money we’ve spent but I’m afraid my heart couldn’t take it.

Before we moved in, we gutted the bulk of it. We moved walls. We changed entrances. We totally redesigned the kitchen and master bath. We took space off the sunroom so I could have a bigger closet. We took space from one of the bedrooms so we could have a larger master bath. In the midst of all this construction, one of our friends stopped by and said, “Oh my Gosh! What are you doing?” We didn’t care. We had a vision.

I work in a little office off my kitchen. The view is terrific, especially when the dog is romping in the back yard. When I curl up with a book, my sunroom is my haven. My closet is large and I don’t have to share it. My kitchen has housed many conversations and parties. Holidays are easy here. Thanks to my husband’s vision, our floor plan is very conducive to entertaining.

When we were remodeling, I remarked, “Please make sure the hallways are wide enough to get in a stretcher. That’s the way I’m going out.”

Now the husband is ready to downsize. He wants a condo. I don’t. The property taxes are crazy and there is always something in need of repair. It’s not rational and I know our finances would be better with a move but I’m just not there. I love my home and I’m not going.

Abby says:

I have had two money pits in my life. The first was a great old 1990 Saab that I bought used a few years ago to have as a knock-around weekend car. The day after I bought it from the dealership, it died. When I went to start it the next morning, the battery was dead. The dealer put a new battery in, and that was the last “free item” I received from them. Because it had about 100,000 miles on it (which is not much for a used Saab), it began to need some of this and some of that. About $3000 later, I decided to sell the car – to the mechanic who had worked on it over the years. I rarely drove the thing and it was truly a big money pit. No more used cars for fun!

My current money pit is my closet. I am sure Sheri would like to comment on that one.

Sheri says:

Oh, the temptation! But, the moment I start on your closet it might give you permission to comment on my book buying sprees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it gets worse. The best mechanic in Indianapolis retired a week or two ago and so we will be berift of a reasonable place to get our wheels fixed.