Thursday, September 27, 2007

Unnecessary Urgency, Now!

Sheri says:

Abby proposed this topic and my initial thought was -- Good one but I’m not sure what I have to say.

I remind myself that Abby is available to clients, night and day. She makes it look easy and it’s not. She cares passionately about her clients. She responds to urgent demands. That’s part of her success – taking nothing away from her amazing talents.

Not to oversimplify, but some of us are demanders and some of us are responders. I refuse to stand in long lines. I use every connection I have to avoid it. I call ahead. I always know the manager’s name.

Today I needed a new watch battery and there were several people in the jewelry store. I was trying to be unobtrusive but I had a limited time frame. I wrote my phone numbers on a piece of paper and was wandering around, looking for an associate. Here comes the owner. They were falling all over me with service and I don’t buy jewelry.

Abby has found the balance. She’s a responder for her clients. She’s a demander in every other situation. She’s saved my sanity on more than one occasion.

I have yet to find the balance.

Abby says:

Sheri is funny. When I proposed this topic, it’s not at all what I had in mind, however, it fits right in with what I was thinking. To me the “now” problem goes even deeper than clients and work. It’s about what American society and culture have become. It’s the I want it now, I need it now, today, right this minute phenomenon. Perhaps technology in the last 5-10 years has really been the driver of being available 24 hours every day of the year. If you want to buy something, it’s midnight and the store is closed, get online and order it NOW from Amazon.com. If you forgot to tell somebody something that “just can’t wait”, get online and email them NOW. Even my mother calls and asks me to look up the latest medical ailment online at 9:00 at night. I happily do it NOW.

Or, how about: “I’ll call you from the car while I’m driving here or there”. What happened to going on vacation without your cell phone or your laptop? What happened to “I’ll get back to you in a few days with that answer”?

We never stop. Maybe it’s greed. Let’s be the first and do it bigger, better, faster. While I embrace the advances made in technology it’s made life exhausting. It’s not right. We have too much access. I am a guilty participant.

No comments: