Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Let's Talk!

Sheri says:
Some days I am a huge talker. The phone is permanently attached to my ear. Other days, I am glued to email – sending and receiving. Every once in a while, I want to avoid it all but I can’t. I’ll take a break for a few hours but the ding of email or the blinking light of voicemail beckons me.

I remind myself, especially with the Internet, that any opinion or exposure is now “out there.”

Sometimes things are misinterpreted. Sometimes, I should not have sent that email or left that phone message.

All in all, I spend a great deal of time communicating with my friends and family. Occasionally, I don’t handle it with grace. But, I don’t plan to give it up any time soon.


Abby says:
I want to talk. I personally like talking to people – either on the phone or in person. I think our society is too caught up in email and texting. Sometimes I think it’s an excuse not to communicate. Often times, people take the easy way out of difficult situations and send an email. Email has been an incredibly productive tool for my business, however, there have been situations when it’s also blown up.

I once sat in a meeting with clients and one of them said: “We’ll see you tonight for the presentation.” I said: “Huh, what presentation?” He continued: “Oh, I emailed you last night, didn’t you get the email? We need you to present so and so tonight.” I about croaked. Luckily, I was available. I had not been in the office yet that morning to check my emails. Needless to say, it’s a good lesson in picking up the phone and calling someone if you have something important you need them to do!

There was an article in last week’s “USA Today” about Fridays going from casual dress day to email-free day at some companies – to encourage in-person conversation. While I cannot totally delete my in-box on Fridays I may make an effort to try to pick up the phone more often.

No comments: