Wednesday, February 13, 2008

If You Were the President

Sheri says:

Public office is not an option for me. I have far too many skeletons in my closet. But, it’s a slight obsession for me. I even put that passion to work by earning a degree in political science. Since it was the early 80s, most of the countries have since changed names and boundaries.

It does not stop me from speculating. If I was elected president and I had to name my top several priorities, I would choose:

Instituting a flat income tax system and a fair property tax system.
Serious healthcare reform.
A change in entitlements across the board – from Social Security to government pension plans.
Changes in gun control.
Accountability in our public school systems.
Homeland security plans that actually make people feel safe.
It’s easy to be the armchair quarterback and of course, I have no idea how to accomplish these goals. But the first person who can explain how he or she will get some or all of these done will get my vote.

Abby says:

I am with Sheri. I do not aspire to hold office – it would be incredibly frustrating to me because things seem to move too slowly and with too much red tape. I have fewer husbands than Sheri but more skeletons, I suspect, making it an impossibility for me.

I have many ideas on what should be done in our country, however, I honestly think these issues are too large for one person to tackle. I don’t know that it can be done. It’s like being the CEO for the most giant corporation in the universe. Money and greed play so deeply into the pockets of the presidential candidates, that once they’re elected, they owe too many favors to too many people. That truly makes “reform” virtually impossible. I experienced this firsthand via a healthcare client who recently traveled to “The Hill” to present information on an important topic.

There was so much obvious positioning and posturing that the issue presented was not going to get the action we hoped for – something that would benefit patients. Rather, the focus was the politicians and what would influence their upcoming votes on various issues.


My top priorities:

Fair taxes (income and property)
Healthcare reform (on both the patient and physician side)
Social Security reform
Better focus on education and literacy (as opposed to the construction of bigger, better NFL and NBA stadiums)
Tighter gun control laws
Development of fair laws regarding entrance into our border

My two questions:
How does one person accomplish these goals in four
years?
What was the last thing a US president did that made a major, positive impact?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The appointing of two judges, Roberts and Alito is already making lawyers think straight. Too, if the superior people don't participate in politics then they wind up being ruled by their inferiors. View our Statehouse inhabitants sometime.