Monday, March 31, 2008

Election Thoughts

Abby says:
Ok. I am over the news media. We are still a ways away from the election and it's all we've heard for months. I love living in the US and the freedoms that accompany it, however, this election is getting under my skin -- which is too bad -- because so many countries don't have this opportunity.

Sunday night I was sitting quietly on my couch watching "The Godfather" drinking a glass of red wine when the phone rang at 8:00. Hmmm, I wondered. Who could be calling at this late hour? Well, the called ID was a residence of which I did not recognize. Assuming it was a volunteer calling for the AmVets, I answered. I always talk to them when they call for clothing and furniture donations because I help them out when I can.


Not to be. Instead, it was an extremely pushy woman who wanted to know if I was going to vote for Mr. Obama. I told her my vote was absolutely none of her business. She repeatedly kept pushing and prodding. She then told me she hoped I was registered to vote. That stung. I was so incensed over this I hung up on her.


Not only is this campaign about candidate-to-candidate mud-slinging, but some candidates are obviously reverting to low tactics that involve urging volunteers to push (in very irritating ways) their wares. I am over that. It's too bad, and maybe I am too PollyAnna. While I realize there are several important issues at hand, shouldn't the election be a celebration of our freedom? It's hard to get beyond the media to discern what platforms the candidates really stand for.


Sheri says:
I watch all of it with a passion. I’m afraid of McCain, Clinton and Obama – all for different reasons. Lots of highly qualified people will never run for office, let alone the highest office in the land. So we look over the candidates and vote accordingly. These are strong and accomplished people. But once one aspires to reach the voting public, the political machine takes over. I’m pretty sure this was not what our founding fathers had in mind.

It’s been a long time since I was 18-years old and a newbie voter. I still take this right seriously and in some ways, I consider it my duty. I get annoyed with people who don’t vote. I get anxious when people tell me they just pull the party bar.

Like Abby, I don’t want to be part of the poll and the endless phone calls are crazy. I wish we had refined our system long ago.

Am I hung up on this lunatic minister that Mr. Obama has been associated with for decades? I haven’t decided. Is John McCain’s age an issue? Will he keep us in this never-ending war? I haven’t decided. Does Hillary’s experience as First Lady and then senator make me trust her more or less? I haven’t decided.

I’m not over it. I’m paying more attention every day.

Abby says:
Maybe Tim Russert from "Meet the Press" will put his name in the hat. He seems to grasp the issues facing country better than most of the candidates. I might even vote for him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim Russert is a major part of the media problem.

Abby said...

You are probably right about Tim Russert. I really meant it tongue-in-cheek. There is a lot of media to muddle through out there.

It's difficult as a voter, to get to the issues!

Câmera Digital said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.