Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Drawing the Line

Abby says:
Chelsea Clinton campaigned for her mom here in Indianapolis last week at Butler University. During the Q & A she was asked by a male student whether the Monica Lewinsky scandal had hurt her mother's credibility. She retorted "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question, in the, maybe 70 college campuses that I've been to." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REbD19UNCmo)

Was that an appropriate answer? Since she's put herself out there on the campaign trail, was that fair game during questioning? As members of the voting public, what is and isn't our business regarding a White House scandal that entwines the candidate's husband? Where do we draw the line?

The fact that Hillary stayed with her husband was a personal decision. Did it hurt her credibility? Who knows. Taking into consideration they were raising a daughter together, leaving Bill may have hurt her credibility more than staying. If the tables were turned and it was Hillary who publicly cheated on Bill, would we even be having this discussion? No matter what her decision, I am not sure this issue is pertinent to her ability to run our country.

Sheri says:
I watched this. I thought the question was inappropriate. I think it’s fair game for Bill or Hillary but not Chelsea. She was a child during the Lewinsky affair. Although she had to endure it, her opinion of that whole fiasco does nothing to define how Hillary would serve as president.

In the 1980 election, we learned that President Bush self-diagnosed an alcohol problem. We also learned he hasn’t had a drink in decades. Is it my right to know if a candidate smoked pot in college? Is it my right to know if a candidate tried cocaine decades ago, when he or she was not in public office? Is it my right to know if a candidate has visited a psychologist or psychiatrist to work through a troublesome time?

Some journalists and some of the voting public enjoy asking questions for the shock value. As a voter, I need to know where the candidates stand on the issues that they will have the ability to impact. A lot of the other stuff is fluff and titillating.

I may watch it but it doesn’t sway my vote.

4 comments:

janis said...

I don't want to know about the personal details of a canidate's life... unless it effects the posistion they are campaining for. I do think that how one handles crisis' regardless to personal or work related, does help us see how that person may handle a situation in office. Hillary chose to work through her personal crisis with pose and dignity. She didn't make a public scene or become an emotional wreck. I have never had to deal with such a personal crisis and do not know how I would truely handle. I think I know but until I am in that position I can not say. I know plenty of women that have & they all reacted differently. Hillary appeared to remain calm & work through her crisis, she did not give up and she prehaps became a stronger person through it. I believe that all things happen for a reason & it is how we decide to handle what is dealt us. I think it made her stronger, and I also think it made her more human. Chelsea also knew it may come up. I think she has been well prepared for just about anything shot at her. She is supporting her mother & bringing more young votes. We need Chelsea to continue & be strong for her Mother. I admire them both.

Abby said...

Jan, I'm with you. I do think it illustrated how she may handle another type of crisis -- and she did it gracefully. It's a really fine line.

Anonymous said...

What sort of idiot would consult Clinton pere about any subject? Any mention of Monica or Gennifer Flowers would, to those whose brains continue to function, alert to the fact that both Hill and Bill lie first, lie often, and lie as a matter of policy. Lying is their contribution to American political life. Obama only wants to change that. Of course it would be only to substitute his pack of lies for theirs.

Anonymous said...

http://www.tomroeser.com/ a copy and paste location for a blog packed with little known things concerning Obama from a man who has observed him his whole political life.