Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Local Indy Author Goes Green

Abby says:
My friend Kate Shoup is an author here in Indianapolis who has written several “how-to” books for big-name publishers. Unlike many authors who are required to find an agent and pitch their projects, Kate is sought after to write books for these publishers. She’s incredibly talented. Her mom Barb is also a well-known author who writes for the young adult audience.

Kate has written cool stuff like “Not Your Mama’s Beading”, “Bargain Shopping Online”, “iPhone Visual” (which I’m currently reading). And, techy stuff like “Easy Microsoft Windows XP” – ironically co-written with my high school pal, Shelley O’Hara (small world!). She also wrote “The Agassi Story” about tennis player Andre Agassi.

Like a lot of people, Kate’s now gone "green". She just published a new book – an idea she pitched to the publisher – called “Rubbish!: Reuse Your Refuse”. If you’re crafty, you’ll love it. Even if you’re not, it’s worth the read. She creates cool projects out of everyday throw-away items. My favorite project is a handbag made from a light aqua, soft and fuzzy turtleneck sweater. I am not particularly talented in the crafts arena, but I may attempt this one.

I went into Barnes & Noble over the weekend hoping to purchase the book, and low-and-behold, they didn’t have it. I teasingly scolded the woman at the information counter and told her Kate is a local author. They need to carry her book! She immediately ordered copies for the store (plus one for me) and also asked me if Kate would consider a book signing.

To check out Kate visit kateshoup.com. To check out the book visit Amazon.com.

No comments: