Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Din-din-dinnertime

We’re thrilled to have our first guest blogger, Rosemary O’Brien. In addition to running a small business and being an accomplished writer and author, she manages to raise children and run a household. She resides in Connecticut with her family. Welcome Rosemary, and please visit her blog as well.

Rosemary says:

The other night, I prepared dinner while simultaneously sending an e-mail to a client. The computer was running very slowly due to a scan that goes on automatically when I have the least amount of time to work. As I flew back and forth between office and kitchen (other office, it seems!), I realized how inconvenient dinnertime is for me. The family likes to eat around 5pm or so, and I need to stop my work to get it going most of the time since my husband does not cook and usually arrives by 5 if we are lucky.

Anyway, I would happily eat a piece of cheese and a cup of coffee at my desk just so I could continue my train of thought or current project. I don’t know about anyone else, but give me a chance to work through the night and sleep all day the next day, and I’m on board. The problem is this: kids have to eat. It’s a rule. Besides, they will migrate into my office and start chewing the legs of my chair if I wait too long to put dinner on the table.

So every day, I stop what I am doing to put a nutritious dinner on the table and wish I was able to continue working for a few more hours without breaking my stride for such an extended period of time.

Is this a “Mom Thing?” Is it a “Woman Thing?” Perhaps it is just a “Workaholic Small Business Owner Work-At-Home” thing?

Oops. ‘Gotta go start dinner again.

Sheri says:

I no longer worry about a nutritious meal for a family. It’s a huge relief. Like Rosemary, I could gnaw on a hunk of cheese and a piece of bread. I figure that since our kids are grown and the husband is an adult with many commitments, he can grab something with a client or friend. He can make himself a sandwich. He can punch a few buttons on the microwave.

But, it is ingrained in us. My husband likes to show off as the chef, and he’s good at it. Nobody seems to notice that someone else did the grocery shopping, the chopping, made the salad, etc. My least favorite phrase is, “Oh, we’re just going to throw something together!” Somebody has to make it happen with the prep work.

I love the holidays. I decided long ago that my mother had served her time. She’s a fabulous cook and always helps with everything, but I have been doing holiday meals and celebrations for quite some time. I’ve been known to throw a mean dinner party for the husband’s clients or friends.

Abby loves to peek in my fridge. She often teases me about whatever food stuff is in there. I still cook occasionally. I enjoy it because it’s not an obligation; it’s my choice.

Abby says:

I have no children, so my microwave gets more use than my shower, toilet and garage door combined. When I was married my husband often relied upon me for a meal, so I used to actually cook food on the stove and in the oven. I enjoyed it. Now, my fridge typically has some food items with mold growing wildly. I need to be more diligent about keeping track. I don’t know how working moms like Rosemary and Sheri have done it. Sheri always has some nice leftovers in her fridge. I often wish I had the time to cook.

3 comments:

Bianca Russo said...

Thank you for being such an inspiration Rosemary! Sometimes I have to muster everything within me to pick up the kids, run the errands, and still get a meal on the table!

I'm an ambassador for Microsoft and right now we're trying to reach out and connect with influential bloggers, like you, and try and offer some help to those women trying to get their business started! I'd love to share some information with you on how we can do that!

We just wrapped up a women's entrepreneurial tour across the US called “Vision To Venture;” the response and turn-out was great!

I'd really love your take on these offerings we have right now; I would have contacted you via email but I didn't know which was the best way to reach you.

Thank you so much, I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by directly contacting you. Get back to me if I’ve caught your interest-- I’d love to share more info with you.

Best,
Bianca Russo
Official Microsoft Ambassador
bianca.russo@live.com

Anonymous said...

You could use post it notes on stuff in the fridge-even salsa will go bad. A lot of the frozen meals are a good value and, actually healthy.

janis said...

When I went back to school, I struggled with homework as well as MOM/HOMEMAKER work. I had a lovely professor that took me aside and said, your kids can reach the counters, teach them how to make a peanut butter/jelly sandwich, tell your husband to be supportive, lock yourself in a room with a note on the door reminding all you're doing this for them, and to leave me alone till after finals. I did, and it worked. My family now dreams of family meals and we succeed ocasionally, but I can now make everyone pitch in. They are grown now, kindof. My husband would strave if he waited for me to get it on the table like I use to back in the day. Thank God for crock pots!
Also, I so agree about dinner time. What's up with that? I rather eat around 7ish (which we do when the family waits for nme to fix a meal).