Monday, June 2, 2008

The Unimportance of "Stuff"

Abby says:
A few posts ago, Sheri and I talked about clutter and accumulating too much stuff. Over the last couple weeks, I have truly learned the meaning of "life's too short" and how insignificant material items and "stuff" really are.

Two weeks ago, my dad took a very bad spill (face first) and really hurt himself. We are lucky. He is ok.

Over Memorial Day weekend, we had a near family tragedy. Luckily those involved are alive, but it was one scary road in the emergency room and days later at the hospital. We were amazingly spared.

Two days later I had a personal health scare. It turned out to be a false alarm. Phew!

This past weekend, massive storms and a tornado hit Indianapolis. I lost my power for half a weekend. Big deal, no harm done. My friend and colleague Cheryl lost part of her house -- as the tornado swept through her neighborhood -- which is only 5 miles from where I live. Her house sustained damage. Her neighbors lost their roofs. She and her dog are remarkably ok. She said the comparison of a tornado sounding like a "freight train coming through" is more true than you can ever imagine.

While I have struggled on and off over the years with organized religion, I have never once doubted the power of God. The events of the past two weeks just strengthened this belief 100 fold. It's also a reiteration for me, "the queen of stuff", that material things just don't matter. At all.

Sheri says:
What is that saying? “Sometimes God taps you on the shoulder. Then, he throws a rock. Next you trip over a boulder.” I don’t know if that is true but I think about it.

That reference is aimed at me, not Abby. If I had been through what she’s been through in the last week to 10 days, (or few years,) I’d have folded like a house of cards. She’s strong and lots of people count on that.

God does allow bad things to happen to people. Is it a test? I don’t know the answer but I know it happens every day.

Abby says:
Life can be over in a nano-second. It hit home the last two weeks. I am thankful and grateful in a brand new way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for both of you.
Love, BS