Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Can You Fix It?

Sheri says:

If you’ve ever worked in the corporate world, chances are you’ve taken a personality profile test. I think I’ve taken at least 20 but I’m not sure how they helped.

It has been validated that I am impatient. I don’t like the build-up. Give me the gist of the message and I’ll let you know if I have questions. Most often, I ask, “Can you fix it?”

This applies to:
My car.
My computer.
My body.
My banker.
My plumbing.
And pretty much everything else I can think of.

Beyond impatience, I admit to some anal tendencies. I did not marry a “Mr. Fix-It” so I have all my “fix-it” people on speed dial.

Abby says:

“Can you fix it” has been the story of my life the past several weeks. I am not handy. My handyman skills stop at hanging a picture on the wall. A few weeks ago, we had a major afternoon storm. My office building was struck by lightning. You know those expensive surge protectors you purchase to protect all your equipment? Well, they don’t work during a major hit. I walked into work the following day only to find nothing was operating. Portions of our computers, modem and router were damaged.

Talk about “can you fix it”! I had two computer people working on getting us back up. One was here on site for two full days, and one was in Virginia via phone. To make matters even more fun, the AT&T repair person was here attempting to work with both of them. I felt clueless and helpless. I was clueless and helpless. They were speaking in foreign tongues talking about DNS this and something something that.

Those three people have now been added to my speed dial.

1 comment:

janis said...

I am still working on trying to twitch my nose and make it all go back to normal! That would be the best way for me. I hate to ask for help to fix anything. I want to solve it and be the hero.