Monday, September 22, 2008

Penmanship






Abby says:
Last weekend I was sifting through old photos. Upon digging through dusty boxes and discolored envelopes I also came across ancient-looking handwritten papers with beautiful penmanship. I thought to myself, "Who wrote these? The handwriting is so pretty". Unbeknownst to me, they were mine – mostly from grade school and high school days. My dad saves everything and I inherit these “treasures” as my parents clean out their house.

Today I have sloppy penmanship -- something between a writing and printing combo – depending on how hurried I am. It's barely legible to me. It looks like doctor scrawling. Go figure. I work with many doctors and must have unconsciously picked up that trait. I wonder why my writing has changed. Maybe it's because I don't have the nuns to slap me on the wrist with a ruler when my writing gets sloppy -- like they did in grade school. Or, maybe I am just lazy. Perhaps I need to work on this.

What does our penmanship say about us? Sheri's is the prettiest I have ever seen.

Sheri says:
I do have legible handwriting. Many people comment on it and it always makes me think of the years my parents made me rewrite things, like homework or thank you notes. They were sticklers.

Most of us do that combo between printing and cursive. Is it a signature style?

Every once in a while my husband or my son will leave me a note. It is not unusual for me to track them down and say, “I can’t read this.” My parents would have never tolerated this so here’s another area where I have failed.

Penmanship is personal. It’s your stamp. For those of us who still write and receive handwritten notes, it’s a badge.

I’m so glad the generation behind me knows how to type and text. I also want them to write/print in a coherent fashion. This will be my new cause!

FYI, I can always read Abby’s handwriting. I’ve been doing it for over 20 years.

Abby says:
Here are samples of our penmanship. Not too tough to figure out which one is Sheri’s.

2 comments:

janis said...

I love both of your handwriting.

Abby, although I find yours beautiful, I must admit, sometimes it was more difficult to read. Usually when you were in a hurry.

Sheri, only your father possess a finer penmanship than you. His is amazing. All those years of practice paid off for you. Often my daughters would mention how they wished they had your longhand skills and I told them, "practice makes perfect!".

Mine is blase. Better when I try, worse when I rush.

Abby said...

Oh yes, Sheri's dad. I forgot. Sheri, he does trump you on that!!