Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reunions


Abby says:

This has been the week of happy reunions. Thursday night the girls from Sheri's Gym (our defunct workout training group of 10 years) got together for a small reunion to celebrate birthdays and drink margaritas. A fun night of laughs and catch-up.

This past week I was contacted out of the blue by an old friend from my past. He has started a Facebook page for the many of us who swam together competitively for the Riviera Swim Club in Indianapolis. Those were truly the best days of my life. As of today I have connected with several people via Facebook, MySpace and Classmates dot com from that era of my life and relived many great memories. I also spent the weekend pilfering through scads of old photos. Swimming is a weird sport. We spent hours, days, months and years together slogging in the pool at all hours of the day and night, smelling like chlorine and constantly slathering lotion on our forever snake-dry skin. The people I swam with shaped my life in many ways. Check out our newly-formed Facebook page (Riviera Swimming Alumni).

The best reunion of all is that my sister, Mindy, is moving home to Indy. I think she has been gone almost 20 years. Maybe more. Minnesota. Colorado. She must have acquired the artistic gene in the family as she is multi-talented and an artist. She makes beautiful one-of-a-kind hand-dyed garments and wall hangings and does other cool stuff too. I have lost track. Over the past few years I’ve seen her only a handful of times. It will be great to have her back and be her friend. Check out this photo above – one of her cool items.

Sheri says:

Reunions can be fun although I avoid some of them. I have never been to a high school reunion. We’ve had some unofficial reunions of college friends but I’ve never attended the official ones. It’s rare for me to attend a family reunion and I suspect those days are over.

Ab and I go to an annual conference. In many ways, it feels like a reunion.

Thursday night with the workout girls was fun but I don’t consider it a reunion since I see or talk to each of them every week.

Next month, there’s a gathering in my childhood neighborhood and I am going. I still see or talk to lots of these people but it is a reunion of sorts.

I’m excited for Ab’s reunion with her sister. Since I don’t have a sister, my closest comparison is two childhood girlfriends who try to meet at least once a year. One I see a lot; the other I only see every 12 to 18 months. I get giddy with anticipation of the three of us spending the weekend together. I suspect that’s what Ab is feeling with her sister moving to town.

Some of the people I miss have left this earth. Maybe that’s the lesson for me: Reunite with friends and loved ones while you can.

No comments: