Friday, September 26, 2008

Tramp Stamps

Sheri says:

Anyone who knows me is aware of my serious aversion to needles. I try to be a responsible adult so I get my blood drawn as part of a yearly physical and I get my flu shot. If my doctor tells me a need a booster shot, I get it.

Other than that, get those needles away from me! Needless to say, I do not have a tattoo.

Lots of the younger generation considers this a rite of passage, kind of like miscellaneous piercings. Go ahead young people! Mutilate your body. Don’t cry to me when you need to make a business presentation or attend a black tie event and you can’t quite hide your youthful escapade.

The tattoo along a woman’s lower back has been referred to as the “tramp stamp.” I did not coin this term, nor do I use it about anyone I know. But, I’m familiar with it.

Abby thought I might possibly be making it up. She doesn’t trust my wisdom very much.

I’m so glad tattoos weren’t popular in my day. I would’ve been the nerd who refused to participate. And I’m glad I’m not this middle-age woman with a tramp stamp running across my lower back.

Abby says:

When Sheri told me of this term I felt out of touch. I guess I am not in the loop. I even looked on Wikipedia, and there it was – an entire section dedicated to the tramp stamp. Amazingly, I know many professional women my age who have a tattoo – some larger and more visible than others, especially in the summertime. They have them for a myriad of reasons: sentiment, girl power, love – the full gamut.

I have nothing against them. I just never ventured into the painful, prickling waters of tattoo land, as I, too, have an aversion to needles. Flu shots and blood draws make me queasy. I also have an aversion to contracting hepatitis or other diseases. I know people who have – many years after getting their decorative marks.

Besides, I’d want to change the design like I change my shoes (and that is often!). Maybe a temporary tattoo is the answer. You can purchase them at drug store make-up counters. Just rub on and wipe off when you’re done (in case you change your mind).

1 comment:

janis said...

You both know my feelings about the "tattoo". With one daughter having one, I have been educated a bit about them.
When Emily got hers, I feel at least she researched it well (3 months). She weighed the cons & the pros. She evaluated the process of removal as well as the makeup to use to cover them up. She checked credentials and made sure the Tattoo Shop was State approved. She approached us about it very responsibily and presented her case well.
I still dislike the fact that she "mutilated" her body. BUT, it is her body, she is an adult, made her choice after careful concideration and certainly did not jump into it. Although larger than I had thought it would be, it is kindof pretty. I understand her reasoning and desire for it.
It is a different generation. At least hers will not look repulsive when she is old. Feet don't wrinkle that badly!