Monday, November 3, 2008

Beauty and the Beast of Change

Sheri says:

For someone who avoids change, I must admit to some revelations:

* Most changes I’ve been forced into have turned out reasonably well.
* Most self-made disastrous predictions were proven false.
* Even the hardest changes have provided some valuable learning experiences.

I’m trying to embrace change with a more open mind. This old dog doesn’t change her spots very well but I’m willing to work on it.

Abby says:

I’m a total change agent and have been since I can remember. I view it as when one door closes another door opens.

Once upon a time when Sheri and I worked together long ago in our banking days, we navigated through some pretty turbulent waters every time our company acquired another bank. Which was often. Everyone around us got scared wondering if there was still a slot for them – or if their slot would be eliminated. There was always whispering, gossip and negativity. It was terribly unproductive.

I never looked at it that way. To me, it was a challenge to see what good things we could make out of every curve ball thrown our way. That attitude has served me well to this day.

To me, changes are bumps in the road. Some are bigger and more uncomfortable than others. Eventually the ugly beast leads the way to the raving beauty.

Sheri has recently encountered some big changes. Some cool and unusual opportunities have come of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some change isn't good. For instance, I had to go out and protest that 5,000 kids a year or so were being murdered out on Georgetown Road. I stopped by to see if that Brazilian Grill place was still useful. They closed. Not a change useful. Turns out that the previous Pope changed the Rosary. Instead of 150 Hail Mary's there are now 200 of them! Not sure if that's good or not. Beauty of the Old Traditional Mass is that their Rosary hasn't been updated since 1962. But, the leader out there Sunday knew all of the new Mysteries being upheld. Oh, well....