Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Annoying Stuff

Sheri says:
Some days bring more things to annoy you than others. Abby has had a lot of those kinds of days lately so she suggested this post be about all of those things -- large and small -- that can send you over the edge. Or, at a minimum, keep you teetering there.

My list of things that are annoying me right now are:
Waiting. Whether it's a follow-up decision about a job or a back and forth document exchange regarding my divorce, I seem to spend a lot of time in anticipation of something. Patience is not a virtue I have.

Conversations Between People who are Supposed to be Helping Customers. I cannot believe how many conversations I am forced to endure as I attempt to make a purchase.

Aches & Pains. I'm not talking about anything really serious. I'm talking about the little aches in the joints that remind me I'm not 20.

Ignorance. For some reason, I am running into a lot of ignorant people. These are not people who are striving for knowledge -- these are people who are intolerably ignorant and proud of it.

Insomnia. Maybe I've never been the best sleeper but it's getting worse when I am tense or stressed. (Why couldn't I be one of those people who can sleep all the time when they get depressed or tense?)

In all seriousness, I know I live a pretty blessed life. But sometimes it feels good to throw a few darts at the annoying things.

Abby says:
We recently moved my dad to a retirement facility, so pretty much every little thing is annoying me due to tension and high stress.

Curb-side smokers. Get a room! (just kidding). My office is located in a building with physician practices. It's ironic and unhealthy to see their employees standing at the entrance puffing years off their life.

Indiana grammar. As we covered in the last post, this makes my skin crawl. "Irregardless" is not a word. "For all intensive purposes" is not a correct phrase. "Ain't" ain't acceptable no matter where you live.

Text driving. I cannot believe how many people (not just the youngsters) I see driving and texting every day. We all know it's distracting and dangerous.

Younger women calling me "hon". I find this mostly with waitresses in uniform. What is it with "what can I get for you hon"? Especially when she is young enough to be my "hon".

Men I don't know calling me honey or sweetie. This is even worse. Ick. I am amazed how often this still happens in the business world. Maybe I should try it on them and see what happens.

Prejudice. I still witness this, and it amazes me. I grew up with friends of various religions who had different skin colors than I. That's what makes the world go 'round, so it hurts to see people are still judgmental.

Cars with deafening, loud booming radios. This just screams "look at me everyone."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, hon, I think the phrase is for all intents and purposes but Hoosiers often mis speak to sweeties not intending to annoy. Wait until you get your first senior citizen discount from some uniformed waitress.....