Monday, January 11, 2010

It's a Good Day When...

This past year with my father being so ill, I have learned to view life quite differently. While it was truly the roughest year I can remember (and certainly my dad's), it was not even close to being as rough as what other people in this world may have experienced.

I'm not a New Year's resolutions kind of girl. I'm hard enough on myself without them, and making a bunch of promises that will never come to fruition is pointless. It sets me up for failure (which I clearly don't need!).

So, I'm looking at life in 2010 differently every day with this in mind: It's a Good Day When...
* You actually wake up.
* You wake up and all your fingers, toes and limbs work properly.
* You're not a family member of the poor pedestrian who was killed in the Indy snow storm by two cars (one of them a hit and run) last week.
* You were not taken out by the idiot who ran the stoplight over the weekend. (Yes, it was such a close call that I had to pull my car over and take a deep breath. This would have been a terrible wreck, and I might not be here today had it happened.)
* You're not living on the streets.
* Your have shelter with working heat.
* You are able to have 3 meals each day.
* You can learn to take bad things and make something good out of them (i.e., lessons learned from my dad's experience have already benefited others).
* You have a close knit group of good friends -- no matter how small the group or where they reside.
* You have faith in some higher being -- no matter what it is or your religious preference.
* You are able to help someone -- no matter how small the deed.

Yes, I am back to the very basics and very thankful I have these simple things. Don't get me wrong. I still love "stuff" and love to have fun, but at the end of the day it's all so very insignificant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally! :) I like the new hair too!

Jen S

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.