Sunday, October 17, 2010

Closing the Chapter of EM2

My dad's name was E. Michael Marmion. Since I was a young girl, we always referred to him affectionately as EM2 (E. M. "Squared" -- you know -- like a mathematical equation). He even signed his office memos with that superscript tag for as long as I can remember.

Yesterday closed the final chapter of EM2, as we laid him to rest. It was absolutely the saddest day of my entire life. Though he had been ill for two years and death was imminent in the last couple of months, that did not make this any easier. I have never felt such pain and deep sorrow.

Now that all the planning of the calling, the funeral and the burial are over and everyone has gone home, it feels as though the wind has been knocked out of me. Sometimes I can barely breathe.

He was a great and respected man whom everyone loved. His colleagues. Those who worked for him. His friends. The folks at the retirement home. And, most of all his family. He is greatly missed, and I was very proud to be his daughter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And,you still are. While death is a natural event it does not make it easier on those who are left. They are left without the deep historical learning of a knowing human. The manly virtues of men in general are diminished in their sum by his loss. One cannot lightly be without a person whose love for you was unconditional.

Lisa (May) Kolakowski said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and can empathize w/ your pain having lost my mother, best friend and confidant too soon. It will never be "better" but time has a way of numbing the pain...lessening it's intensity. Keep your chin up, remember you are only human and let the good memories close to your heart help you through.