Monday, January 30, 2012

Serendipity?

I have had many serendipitous moments in my adult life, a few of which have changed my life paths both personally and professionally.

As an ongoing weekend chore, I have been cleaning out boxes of family items left from my dad before his death and from my mom, since she lives in a nursing home. Some of these boxes contained items that I have donated to Goodwill, while others are a treasure trove of wonderful family history.

One of the most fascinating family items I have come across relate to my great, great Aunt Rebecca. Interestingly, she was the first female medical doctor to graduate in Indiana -- from the Medical College of Indiana (now the IU School of Medicine). She was also the first female physician to practice in the Philipines. She actually became a missionary doctor and started the Mary Johnston Hospital in Tonda Manila in the early 1900s.

Fast forward to a few years ago. Mary Johnston Hospital celebrated their centennial anniversary, and commissioned a postal stamp with both my Aunt Rebecca's photo and a photo of the hospital. The Philipine postal service approved it as an official postal stamp. I was stunned to come across this!

I often wonder if the love of my work in healthcare is serendipity, a special thread that has been woven through our family genes or a little bit of both.

No comments: