Thursday, March 1, 2012

Why and How Come?

It's amazing when you get into the caregiver role of an elderly family member. You come to the realization that person has reverted back into the distant tunnel of their childhood days.

While I do not have children of my own, I have recently gotten a taste of what it might feel like. Trying to explain things yet help my family member maintain her dignity while she battles dementia is sometimes mighty challenging and dicey.

Here are 10 child-like questions I commonly get asked:

* "How come I need to wear a coat?" (Because it's 29 degrees and windy outside.)
* "How come I can't drive?" (Because you sold your car 2 years ago.)
* "Why is dad not here to take me home?" (Because he passed away last year.)
* "How come I am in the hospital?" (Because you had some little strokes.)
* "Why can't I remember anything?" (Because you had some little strokes.)
* "Why don't you ever come to see me?" (I was here yesterday.)
* "Why do I have to eat my vegetables?" (Because it will make you strong; then you can have your dessert!)
* "Why do I move so slowly?" (Beacuse you are 80-years-old!)
* "Why are we at the hearing aid doctor?" (Because your hearing test shows that you are almost deaf! These will improve your quality of life.)
* "What are we celebrating? Is today my birthday?" (No, it's my birthday...)

1 comment:

Niecydodd said...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard those questions from my grandmother! It's upsetting seeing someone you've looked up to and admired for so long becoming so vulnerable, but yet at the same time it's a venue that allows you to repay some of the love and nurturing that she's provided to you for so many years! Best of luck!